Monday, August 31, 2015

Top 33 Fantasy Novel Classics

Last week I posted a list of my Top 33 Science Fiction Classics.  This week it's time for Fantasy classics to get their time in the limelight.  Some of these are still on my to-read list, like Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.  Others are founding texts of the genre.  As with last week, I didn't put more than one book by the same author on the list.  Following that principle, I also chose just one book from whole series that I adored - and often it wasn't the first book from the series that I picked.  Sometimes I play a little fast and loose with my interpretation of what fantasy really is.  Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments!  What did I miss?  What should I have left out?  I want to hear all about it.

ps - check out this list, too: Top 33 Science Fiction Classics.

Adventure


The Tombs of Atuan - Ursula K. Le Guin



Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll



 Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman





 1001 Arabian Nights - Anonymous



 The Princess Bride - William Goldman



A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin




The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss



The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien



Watership Down - Richard Adams



 The Hero and the Crown - Robin McKinley



 Dracula - Bram Stoker





 The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe



Kindred - Octavia Butler



 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling




Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl



 Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum



 An Acceptable Time - Madeleine L'Engle



 The Bad Beginning - Lemony Snicket



 The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales



The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman





Arthurian Legend


 The Once and Future King - T.H. White



The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley



Roger Lancelyn Green



Magical Realism


Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel



 The Secret History - Donna Tartt


100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez



 Winter's Tale - Mark Helprin



Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie



 Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood



 Dance, Dance, Dance - Haruki Murakami



Among Others - Jo Walton




Satire



Animal Farm - George Orwell



Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift




No comments: